Gama Goat

From: Soren Barr (sorenbarr@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 17:30:53 PST

I've been wanting to buy a military vehicle for quite a while now, but have
found it too expensive or too hard to justify another vehicle. Since many
military vehicles are impractical for general use, I've never been able to
commit to buying one.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I've been intrigued with the M561 Gama
Goat for quite a while now, but I'm seriously considering buying one now.
Since they are know to be problematic and not at all practical, I'm hoping
to "build" a Gama Goat with new drivetrain parts, etc. to make it more
reliable and easier to drive. From what I've read most of the problems with
operating a Gama Goat (besides dubious amphibiousness) stem from the drive
train.

All that being said there seem to be fewer Gama Goats around than I remember
seeing when I became interested in them 10 years ago. What are my chances of
finding an inexpensive Goat to start my project with? I'd rather not take
apart a complete vehicle, nor do I want to pay for one. Are there (mostly)
complete, titleble Goats around in the under $2000 range?

Any thoughts on a project like this? Thanks.

Soren Barr