Re: [MV] Recruiting Our Youth

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 12:54:33 PST

At 10:13 PM -0800 12/28/02, Patrick Jankowiak wrote:
>The trend is that MVs (as well as hot rods, guns, old
>radios, and antique mainframes) are going up in value or
>holding their value. Sure there will be no big profit in the
>end (except on my pokemon collection!), but you can enjoy
>what you do. The ham radio hobby does not seem to be growing
>very fast either. And today's youth are not interested in
>any kind of public service or volunteering. They are under
>the misconception they it is they who should be served. How
>to fix that?

Frankly I think its the past generation that have failed to present
enough of an example. The biggest example I can think of the sheer
number of people that don't stop to help out at an accident or
roadside problem that someone has.

The most basic form of volunteering is stopping and helping someone
who needs it on the side of the road at night or on the highway. Too
many people are too busy rushing around in their Escalades, yakking
on their celphones to stop and help.

--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)