Re: [MV] Would like to buy a T-54 or T-34

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 11:35:20 PST

Hi there,

>Can you still import them into the US, I have the BATF paperwork, but I need
>to know if I will get the permit?

There is was at least one T-34/85 recently in MV Mag that was already
here in the US. As for importation, it should be no problem. The main
block on Form 6s had to do with US stuff, not foreign stuff.

>How much is the transport across the ocean from Europe?

Depends heavily on where it is coming from and going to.

>How much do these tanks go far in running condition in Europe?

T-34/85s appear to go for around $12,000 USD. T-54/55s aren't that
common, but I think they aren't too much more. Same with T-64s. T-72s
are still hard to get and expensive since they are in use with frontline
forces all around the world more so than the older models. And you might
as well forget about WWII T-34s. Those are few and far inbetween,
surviving examples being museum pieces. The 85 model is as around in
large numbers.

>And last of all where can I get spare parts for them?

Mostly from Europe I should think. There aren't that many here in the US
to really support much of a parts infrastructure.

Here are some websites to check out:

<http://WWW.Intlrepo-depo.com/>
<http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/>

Just a word of caution... unless you have looked into owning heavy armor
in great detail, including talking with people who already own them, stop
looking to buy right now and do the research. Heavy armor is a great
responsibility and drain on the wallet even if it is of US origin (i.e.
parts are available more easily). I just have to say this because too
often people think "gee... $15,000 to own a tank... wow, that's cool" :-)
 Obviously I have no clue about your understanding of heavy armor
ownership, so I thought I would just give you some friendly advice.

Steve