A new twist for me

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 12:13:51 PST

Hi List,
  First of all let me say that I'm not a diesel demon....but after
talking to a cousin about running a diesel tractor out of fuel....he
said they just pulled them till they started after refueling. Saved a
lot of work of bleeding all the injectors. I guess it's nice to know
that....but....coming down the road one day was the neighbor with his
big 'ol Detroit powered end loader running out of fuel and coasting into
my driveway. No problem, I ran him down to his place and got 5 gallons
of diesel....put it in there and then he asked me how long my air hose
was. I told him that I had enough to run out to the loader and after
doing so....he said connect it onto that fitting on the fuel
lid....(he'd been there before) and after a bit...he said that's good
enough and commenced cranking and it fired right up....then quit. He
said ....do her again....and this time it caught and ran and away he
went ....thanking me as he left. Left me thinking.... this is a new
twist to me. Brings up the question....is this a good way to rupture a
fuel tank or something maybe worse? Looks like if that were the
case....a portable 12 volt vacuum pump tapped in somewhere around the
engines pump would be workable too....to prime the fuel system. I guess
you don't have to smell like diesel to qualify for an answer to my
curosity. Anyone else got any oddball off the wall ways with theirs? One
of my theories of life is....you have to be smarter than the metal. (I
am a machinist by trade.) Fred