Re: [MV] CONVOY Suggestions please

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 05:26:23 PST

In a message dated 1/11/2003 2:21:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, grntrks@juno.com writes the following, which in the interest of expressing other ideas, will state that I fundamentally disagree with. My thoughts follow the quote.

> 2. If any WWII jeeps etc., then they should be in the lead
> positions because they have to set the pace for the convoy, (45 mph.).
> The M series vehicles will be able to keep up but, if they lead they
> might unintentionly leave the slower vehicles behind as the
> drive
> progresses and they convoy will become strung- out.

I have participated in, organized, and been asked to lead many convoys. The theory I have always used, succesfully is: Heaviest vehicle in front (unless it is armor with poor visiblilty), with the following vehicles in descending weight order, warning beacon on rear vehicle. And in the lead vehicle someone who has driven the route a few days in advance, and made notes about traffic conditions, what lane to be in when, etc. Then, during the driver's meeting ask everyone what is the fastest they feel comfortable driving continously. The leader then drives 5 mph slower.

The theories behind this are many. First of all, I have driven a 5 ton wrecker when it lost the power assist to the brakes, and a ten ton tractor when there was a complete brake failure....had I been trailing a Jeep...or most anything else, and rearended it, it would have been hard on Jeep and occupents. A little truck may run INTO a big truck, but a big truck runs OVER a little truck. A moments lapse of attention, mechanical problems, all sorts of things could bring about this situation, I feel the heavies in front are safer for all involved.

Perched in the cab of a big truck, its driver can easily keep his eye on the tail vehicle, and all between (after the convoy gets to 20 vehicles or so, that beacon on rear vehicle sure helps keep up with where it is, although its true purpose is for rear warning).

Instruct all the drivers "If the guy in front of you stops, you stop, if the guy behind you slows, you slow, if he stops, you stop. Stay in your vehicle at roadside unless instructed otherwise at that time." Thus the slowest vehicle still sets the pace. Once guy in slowest vehicle was wise guy, gave smart answer of 65....me being ignorant drove that speed to first rest stop, where he said uncle, 40 from then on.

Having the heavies in front allows them to "get a run" at steep grades.....the Jeeps and Dodges will easily catch them.

Always plan your route for right turns, even if that means driving around the block. If a left turn is unavoidable, the big trucks in front are also great for illlegal traffic control. Locally, I can stretch an M62 across two lanes of traffic, and allow the rest of the convoy to roll through the intersection. The guy in the number 2 vehicle (locally an M3A1 Scout Car) knows I am driving a slug, and holds the convoy speed down until I regain position. Have done this while cops watch, may be illegal, but done quickly and smoothly they don't seem to care.

Anyhow, my .02,
David Doyle