Re: [MV] CONVOY Suggestions please

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 23:21:11 PST

Kerry,

I planned a "trail ride" for our MVPA chapter a few years ago and want to
share a few ideas.

1. Try to get advance notice of what type vehicles folks are
bringing. If only small vehicles are comming your route can be almost any
road you choose, however if a duece or two (for example) will attend then
you need to consider things like "load zone" or weight restricted bridges
on country roads.

2. If any WWII jeeps etc., then they should be in the lead
positions because they have to set the pace for the convoy, (45 mph.).
The M series vehicles will be able to keep up but, if they lead they
might unintentionly leave the slower vehicles behind as the drive
progresses and they convoy will become strung- out.

3. Length of the route should be based on miles the slowest
vehicles can travel in the time alotted for the ride. Country back rodes
are more interesting than 4 lane highways, but you may trap traffic
behind you with no way to let them pass safely.

4. Communication between lead and last vehicle is a good idea in
case of breahdowns, etc., that way a mechanicly challenged vehicle can
get assistance from the others.

5. I suggest a volunteer or two at the rear in a pickup w/
trailer to recover any vehicle that can't be repaired on-site. Then you
don't have to leave it behind and hope it's all there when you get back
with a recovery crew.

6. Require valid insurance and a signed waiver of liability for
the hosting group. A brief registration form is a good idea also with
emergency phone numbers etc.

7. Each vehicle should have a route sheet with possibly a rough
sketch of the route and rest points etc. in case someone gets seperated
from the group. Seperation can happen easily due to traffic signals etc.

8. Hold a drivers meeting before departure. Discuss the route,
road curtesy, emergency proceedures, vehicle spacing and so on.

That's all the basics off the top of my head. I'm sure others on the
list will chip in also.

Have fun,

 Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
MVPA 14530