Re: [MV] CONVOY Suggestions please

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 07:56:00 PST

I participate in these MV convoys a couple of times a week. Like clockwork
everything goes like it was just one vehicle. Regretably, it is just that,
one vehicle. I'm the only one within an hours ride that has an MV that I
know of. Just the same, I would like to throw out one or two thoughts on
convoys I can't enjoy. First is the FRS radios. Handy, cheap and you can
toss it in a pocket. With 14 frequencys and most radios having 38 sub codes,
these things are handy. We use ours for all kinds of things besides just
staying in touch. We have to convoy our field forces at work. 60 vehicles
altogether and when we get it right its formidable to look at. We have lane
change vehicles and I suppose in the MV community the faster vehicles could
be assigned this function. At the direction of the convoy commander, a front
lane change vehicle makes the change then slows. The rest of the convoy then
passes and changes into the lane in front of the lane change vehicle. Once
the lane change is complete, the change vehicle works its way back to the
front. All vehicle functions are controlled by the commander via radio such
as parking, lights off, shutdown and disembarking. Don't know if it could be
applied to the MV convoy but I can't see why it couldn't be tried. Sounds
like the lane change vehicle should have convoy lights! Just another idea.
My .02 cents
Kenny