Re: [MV] M35 (and other) hi/lo shifing

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 08:40:25 PST

> when in low and hit 5th, you reach through the steering wheel and reach down
> and pull up for high while using the right hand to pull back to 4th. I
> remember how impressed I was when I had seen this done for the 1st time.
> Its a true art form. The reach through is to keep the steering wheel
> from turning and leaving the road while leaning foreward to shift to high.
> There is not much worry of this with a deuce because of it having no power
> steering but I hear that its critical for the 5 tons.

I sure hope this is a joke !!! Anybody who will reach through the steering
wheel to do anything is asking for a broken arm in the worst way in my opinion.
Until you get a flat tire while moving, or hit a big rock off the road you won't
understand it.

It may be the right way to do it, and an art too, but it is not safe IMHO. If
you are driving at 20 miles per hour, reaching through the steering wheel to do
anything, steering jerks (and I mean JERKS) and breaks your arm, you are not
only going to go off the road, but you will hit anything in sight. It didn't
happen to me, but I can imagine how one is going to react under such pain and
inability to stabilize the steering wheel (if they can even think about it
then).

Again, this is my opinion. Power steering makes it easier to stabilize, and it
will probably not jerk much.

Besides, synchromesh or not, you will never put it in first unless you are
stopped, right?

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce