Re: [MV] M35 (and other) hi/lo shifing

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 11:42:58 PST

> Actually, I used to drop into first when pulling in to the airplane hangar
> where I used to store one of my deuces. The hangar was very crowded, and I had
> to squeeze that deuce into a tight corner with lots of fragile stuff lying
> around. Before I learned to double-clutch while driving non-synchro semi
> tractors in truck driving school, I'd downshift from 2-high to 2-low, but once
> I learned to double-clutch properly, I found it easier to downshift to first.

Right, if you know how to double clutch for downshifting (different than double
clutch for upshifting) you can go into 1st gear real nice. My point was that
the normally you will not be going into first when moving. Yes, I down shift to
1st and low when doing a parade, backing up a bank into my parking spot at home
etc. but when I drive it around on the road, I never found a reason to go into
first. Starting in 2nd has power enough.

Interestingly, I haven't seen any comments though, about the dangers of sticking
your arm through the steering wheel to shift to low (or high). Got some direct
email about broken fingers and such, but I was hoping some of our gurus will
warn against such practice.

You know, I just went out and tried the shifting of the hi/low lever, and there
is absolutely no way for me to get to it through the steering wheel with my
right arm (without twisting my whole body). Left arm is completely out of the
question. What was all that talk about going through the steering wheel?
hemmmmmmmm........

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce