Re: [MV] now Japanese vehicles

From: John K. Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 11:41:19 PST

Bill,
1. A good place to start is http://www.j-aircraft.com
I really like the site, as I am a very big fan of Japanese Aircraft. Part
of the site includes the Pacific Wrecks Database, which has lots of
information about abandoned Japanese facilities in the Pacific. I can't
look at that site, or I get the itch to go empty my bank account to haul a
Japanese Aircraft out of the jungle...

2. Bit of legend here. My flight instructor was stationed in several
places in the Pacific, and at one of them, they found a Japanese Light tank.
The last time he heard of it, the people who found it had written to the
manufacturer (Mitsubishi) and they were making a new Magnesium transmission
case to restore it.

3. Most of the wrecks are protected in some way. Very similar to the way
Russia protects its national treasures, which are now located in private
hands throughout the US and Europe. And some of them have had large
scandals and changes of government over some of these relics.

4. Quality. All Japanese items I have in my collection are extremely high
quality, although perhaps manufactured with 1/2 generation older technology
than the US or Britain. Also, their stuff is downright beautiful. The
aircraft instruments, equipment, and vehicle parts I have seen were very
well done and have an artistry to them even though mass produced. You will
find that later war manufactured items were made hastily, and without much
polish. But I imagine that the old shop hands who made the earlier war
stuff I have seen were either dead or furious for the lack of the quality in
these items.

5. Interesting footnote to this is that the Japanese concern Rikuo, which
license produced motorcycles during WWII, unfortunately picked Harley
Davidson as their model to make. It made production simpler, but even the
Japanese couldn't make a Harley run right....

Indian Motorcycles Forever! Just send the flames directly to me...