Re: [MV] mv- AUCTIONS

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 09:58:39 PST

A reminder...

GL's mission is NOT to keep MV collectors in "business". Their mission
is to get the most amount of money back from Joe Public to help offset
next year's out of control military spending. Therefore, as a taxpayer I
am totally against any sort of subsidized auctions to benefit a self
selected few. It is already pathetic how little comes back to the
citizens for its investment in material.

While I do not like prices being driven up artficially, having dealers
bidding up stuff is a natural part of Capitalisim. As Jason said, if the
dealers all bought these things at stupid prices, and nobody bought them
from 'em afterwards, then they will not be so eager to go bid crazy the
next time. Supply and Demand works pretty darned well.

On the other hand, I am totally against people being able to
systematically buy low and then sell extremely high. If the natural
market rate is $10,000 for a barely fixed up truck, then they should be
auctioning off at $7,000-$8,000 in quantity, not $1,500. The max benefit
from a resale should go to the people that bought the thing brand new
(i.e. the taxpayers), not dealers.

BTW, these kinds of debates go on in all collecting circles. I collect
camo uniforms and ever since eBay and the booming economy, the rarer
stuff has become quite expensive (I just some sone guy pay $1500 for a
WWII German smock! Used to be about $600-$800 tops a few years ago).
 The Class III guys can at least argue (correctly) that the supply is
being artificially controlled by Uncle Sam, and therefore the free market
system is not functioning fully. However, I also see some collector
bitching about the price of something he wants when a week earlieer he
sold one of his long held pieces for a 1000% profit. Human nature is all
about wanting the cake and eating it too, while not letting someone else
have anything but the crumbs :-)

Steve