Re: [MV] m35 manifold heat

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 03:23:39 PST

Running the risk of being repetitious, but I guess that the nature of this
list, since most of us probably don't have the time to read every post, the
following can be said about cold weather starting and the flame heater:

1) Make sure the batteries are fully charged. Fast cranking is a "must".
If this is not the case, forget about trying to start your engine when the
temperature hits zero degrees.

2) To check the operation of the flame heater, have a second person place
his or her hand on the intake manifold adapter housing. It should get warm
when the flame heater is operating or attach a thermocouple to it and watch
the temperature rise. Mine failed this test and I still havn't found the
time to troubleshoot it. My batteries happen to be in good shape and the
truck started without the flame heater in 10 degree weather the other day.
The batteries held up for six attempts until the engine fired. Since I
installed the turbo, I must say that it is a little harder to get it started
in extreme conditions, perhaps the turbo/compressor fan blocks some of the
air flow before the engine is up and running.

3) If the truck is needed on short notice during very cold weather, start
and run it 1/2 hour at the time every four to six hours. It should start
immediately with that routine.

4) Use a canvas grill cover to keep the engine temperature up. The fan is
very (too) effective in cold weather.

Check those batteries and have a great day!

Bjorn
MVPA 19212