Re: [MV] Russian T72

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 10:37:28 PST

Hi Wallace,

The Soviets like steel only tracks and as far as I know have never made
rubber padded ones for their heavy stuff (including AFVs). I would think
that one could cover the links with some sort of rubber, but man... that
would be a huge effort and expense. It is also likely that it wouldn't
last long even on smooth pavement.

Personally, I think they are SOL. They could try it on their own, but
man... it would be pretty bad if they found their attempts at rubberizing
the tracks came to naught. Museum is bound to have better uses for its
time and resources than gambling them on such a conversion. We all know
that even modest museums have more on their plate than they can handle.

Steve