Re: [MV] Russian T72

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 10:56:14 PST

Hello Andreas!

>Not really. For the T55 tank for example, which was in use in the East
>German Army (NVA)
>there was a rubber padded track available. This rubber padded track
>needed a different
>driving sprocket. Both types of tracks are mentioned in the manual of
>the T55 tank.

I am interested to know more about this. I have never seen photographs
of rubber padded tracks on any Soviet tracked AFV. I wonder if this
option was ever really used on T55s or other vehicles. As a historian I
have seen countless examples of items made that were, effectively, never
used. My motto is "just because it exists doesn't mean it is relevant" :-)

Steve