Re: [MV] Welding References Sought (long post)

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 03:44:19 PST

The use of coathangers for torch welding died a long time ago....the
danged things would just burn up when the flame hit them....unless you
found some ancient ones. (better metal content) I use a 1/16" copper
coated steel rod that the welding supply houses recommend for thin sheet
metal and a small tip. The copper coating helps control the rust on them
so you get a good clean weld....and puddle it in. It takes some practice
to be able to melt the parent metal and the rod at the same time and
that'ol China syndrome will jump out at you. (burn through) Probably be
best to recommend to use a backup strip (usually 1/4" copper) to keep it
from happening. And don't forget....the fumes from any weld process are
hazardous to your health. Do it outside or use a small fan to blow them
away. That'll get you started....follow the rest of the safety
precautions for your equipment and you're good to go. NEVER EVER get
close to the 15# regulator pressure on accetylene, it can come out as a
liquid,very dangerous and explosive....5# is generally enough. Another
modern day requirement for the accetylene torch is flash
arrestors....they are attached to the back of the torch where the hoses
connect and the hoses are connected to them. They keep the backfires
from going up the hoses. (check valves) Accetylene bottles are not a
bomb....if used properly....they will not explode as they have lead
plugs in them that melt and vent the accetylene to the atmosphere along
with a small fire if it is present. Some of this content is basic (and
boring) to those who use this equipment regularly....but it should be
posted for the ones that it is new to or who did it 20 years ago and
need a refresher. Before lighting the torch....always look around for
aerosol bombs and gas cans and leaks....don't weld around them! Sniff
for leaks when you put on a new bottle or use soapy water and a paint
brush and look for bubbles. Also NEVER use oil or grease on any
fittings....leave them dry. NEVER cut or weld on a vessel of unknown
content (barrels or fuel tanks and such)....they can kill you! My
appologies for the long post....no amount of appologies can bring back a
life. As usual....disclaimer....your on your own (and maybe a little safer.)

Fred Martin
Don't worry bout the mule goin blind....just load the wagon!