Re:[MV] Tow bars?

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 02:31:22 PST

Joe,
I have two tow bars, one I can carry (medium?) and
one that I can't (heavy duty?). The lighter one has
various adapters used to connect the bar to a light
vehicle by removing the front lifting shackles on the
towed vehicle and pinning the bar adapters there.
The heavy one is for use with my 5-ton wreckers. The
adapters with it have chains and get connected to
the front axle housing on heavier vehicles. This
arrangement prevents the towed vehicle from
slamming into the wrecker when towing. Now,
please understand that I have little knowledge of
tow bars and what I have stated is what I have been
told. I've only used the lighter bar and that was to
tow my M151A2.
The adapters are quite pricey anymore, but can
be found. I got some from Jim Henry. Others at
swap meets. Paid $10.00 a pair for one set for
the lighter bar, have seen them priced at $60.00.
Joe Young