Re: [MV] speaking of Snow

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 21:44:29 PST

They probably just yanked them out with a dozer or wrecker and towed
them to one of those quonset hut motorpools would be my guess. I heard
from a diesel mechanic in Antartica (talking to him on ham radio) that
they bought them in for maintenance, changed the oil and all filters and
left them running for 30 days (out in the cold) and did it again. Does
that sound like uncle? A deceased friend told me that he drove a wrecker
in Alaska during WW2 and they could never get past 2nd gear because of
the cold. I would think that the mechanics would pour in some diesel
fuel to cut the 90wt so that they could get some work done with it, huh?
The history channel show about the Alcan highway was very interesting
and something no one ever mentioned before....besides only taking them
seven months (?) to build....they had 4000 blacks working on it...and
they didn't get much more than picks, shovels and axes to work with.
Seems they had to steal a bulldozer from another outfit to prove they
could do just as good a job as anyone else...with the right tools.
One of those kind of shows that you don't want to blink your eyes for
fear of missing something. Fred