Re: [MV] Found Tanks

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 14:41:13 PST

Yup, there are plenty of them out there. A few years ago the Patton
Museum secured a StuG III from Russia. Unfortunately, the first attempt
to raise it many years ago seriously damaged it.

>What location did they find them?

Glenn, the PzIII is said to have been found in Belarus according to the
link. It was most likely lost in 1941 during the initial drive into
Russia. Man... that thing looks like it is in MINT condition.

The StuG III... location is not mentioned. My guess is that it was lost
during winter 1942/1943 by the looks of the paintjob. I would guess it
was the HQ vehicle for the 2nd Battery of an independent StuG Battalion.

As to the condition, sitting totally encased in mud is actually a good
thing. No oxygen, which is really needed to cause serious corrosion.

The ex-WWII battlefields in the East are littered with this stuff. The
countries realize that they are worth substantial sums of money and are
therefore eager to find these things. Especially since they are state
property and that means the money goes right to them.

Steve