M35 engine replacement.

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 19:50:32 PST

    I am about to replace the engine in my M35 series truck. Its a long
story, but it had a bad knock. I removed the old LDT465-1C engine a couple
of weeks ago. The closest and most reasonably priced engine I could find was
a LDS465-1A engine rebuilt at Toole in 1991 & still in the can. I hope I
don't end up with an engine that is hard to start in the cold, like the
other engines from Toole mentioned on the list. It was a little unsettling
to find that the engine came with a bottle of stop leak that says it is for
stopping head gasket leaks!
    I have swapped out all the components that are different on the two
engines. These were: Swapped the oil pump pick up tubes, I reversed the oil
pan so the sump is in the front. Changed the flywheel bell housing,
flywheel, clutch & pressure plate. I reversed the nose-cone on the starter
so that I could use the new starter instead of the one off the old engine.
Moved the oil dipstick tube from the rear position on the right of the
engine to the front right position and swapped the bracket that braces it.
Changed both fuel and oil filters. The original engine was rated at 130 hp
and this one is rated at 170 hp. The idle speed as listed on the fuel
injector pump is 100rpm lower than the LDT engine, though top rpm is the
same. Another thing I found when looking at the LDS engines
is that some of them have the same (smaller) turbo as the LDT engine I
pulled out, and some have a larger turbo. I wonder what the difference is in
engine performance between the two. I ended up with the engine with the
smaller turbo.
    The LDS engine also has a power steering pump on the front. There was a
tag hanging from it that says its pressure is set at 1500lb. I took some
measurements and I think with some modifications to the radiator fan shroud
I could keep the hydraulic pump on the engine. Though what I would use it
for, I am not yet sure. If I do leave it there I will have to hook it up to
a resivior so it does not run dry.
    A question I have is: When I get it installed, What is the best
procedure to follow before start up. Is there a way I could lubricate the
engine before attempting to start it? It has been sitting for 12 years and I
hate to think I could ruin a perfectly good engine with a dry start up.

Well, have to get to bed. anyone have any good ideas let me know,

Bill
Michigan