Re: [MV] M35 and M37 plastic models?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 21:06:18 PST

Until about a year and half a go I co-owned a large full line hobby shop, so I can perhaps shed some light on this.

In the G-742 series (M35) there have been a variety of offerings in approximately 1/35 scale.

The absolutely best kits on the G-742 are the ones made by AFV club. They offer the M35A2, M49A2C and most recently a gun truck, which I think is based on the M35A1 (the latter actually came out after I left the industry). These kits are all 1/35 scale, and are the only ones to be made of a Multifuel powered deuce. These should be available in any leading hobby shop, or by calling the shop I used to own at 1-888-424-6229 and asking for Don or Emmo.

In the past Monogram, Revell and Renwal all offered models of this series of trucks, in either M34, M35, or M398 (LaCrosse launcher) versions. These were in scales ranging from 1/40 to 1/32.

A firm named Skybow announced a kit of the M37 in 1/35 scale a couple years ago. The have done a number of the WWII 3/4 Dodges, as well as the M38A1 and M38A1C. The rumor mill recently had it that plans for the M37 have been cancelled, but I have not followed up on this.

To my knowledge the only plastic models of the M37 have been a long discontinued 1/87 model by Roco, and a vacuum-formed conversion kit offered by Schmidt of Germany, which could be combined with components from, as I recall, an Italeri WC kit to yield after many hours of work, a M37.

Hope this helps,
David