Re: [MV] M35 lockout hubs installed - fuel savings?

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 07:35:14 PST

I do have a suggestion and Arthur may say the exact same thing. The hubs of
course will be a big difference. The next thing is to roll out the
circumference of the 8 rear tires making sure they are all at the correct and
same pressure. I've come up with a formula for matching the 8 rear tires
that can't be improved upon without truing the tires. If you put lockouts on
your truck, take one of the removed drive flanges and replace one axle shaft
on the rearmost axle. This will eliminate any bind and conflict between the
rear axles. Fuel mileage begins to really suck above 2300. If you can keep
it below that, it will help. Unless you just changed it, change that oil. My
mileage is significantly better on fresh oil and filters. Leave the bed tarp
off until you need it and even laying the front rack down can help a bit. I
treat my fuel with Stanadyne Blue and it also makes a mileage difference as
it raises cetane. That is about all I can think of right now. Couple them
all together and you will notice a big difference. 12 MPG is not out of
reach with a sensible foot and some preparation.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
AM General M-35A2 w/w
Fruehauf M105A1