Re: [MV] M37 lockouts

From: Jeff & Hanna (ditch68@bytehead.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 08:54:50 PST

Hello, all!

While on this hub /disengagement issue (sort of), I have a question, or
series thereof:

I do not have lockouts on my M37, (or anything else non-military), I have
heard all this "hub-bub" (no pun intended - hey, that is funny) about them,
will I really reap a benefit by installing them that is proportionate to
their cost?

I hear about:
-reduced drivetrain wear
-reduced tire wear
-reduced "Jeff" wear, as it is supposed to be easier to steer/drive in
general ( I have no problem now)
-increased gas mileage
-reduced noise ( I like noise, or I wouldn't have an M37 and a '70 Triumph
with straightpipes and a redhead wife and a bunch of guns)

Anyone want to venture an opinion on the validity or REAL impact on any or
all of these areas? I am sure there is some merit to all, but how much?
(point 5 mpg versus double transfer case hours, etc.)

For the record, I am: A. cheap unless it's green or shoots stuff. B. Not
into ANYTHING non-mil on the truck C. Foolish enough to start a flaming
inbox-filling debate.

Thank you all in advance.

Jeff
1953 M37 WoW