Re: [MV] M35 lockout hubs installed - fuel savings?

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 06:33:54 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bjorn Brandstedt" <super_deuce@hotmail.com>

> Don't road tractors have locking interaxle differentials?
>
> Bjorn

I'll so glad someone brought this up before I had a chance to share my
little knowledge on the subject.

I am not an expert, but this much I know. Most of the trucks "the family"
operates have tandem axles in the back and several have tag axles. The rear
most axle is live at all times. The drive shaft just goes through the front
axle of the tandems and apparently has a air operated engagement. You only
engage the front axle in mud or some other problem and you always dis-engage
it before hitting the pavement. The M35 I have is the first truck I have
ever seen with all the rear axles live all the time. I was amazed they hold
up. And yes the big rigs get stuck easily when only one axle is turning. I
would not even think of taking my deuce off road with out both rear axles
turning. If it saved me enough money to justify the trouble on a long trip
I might disable one, but that seems like a lot of trouble. Anyone that has
had an all wheel drive vehicle knows it works better on dry asphalt if you
dis-engage the front hubs.

If someone really wants to get busy, design and manufacture a bolt on devise
that would replace the top of the axle where the drive shafts bolt up with a
devise like the big rigs have. It can be done.

Just my observations,
Joe Trapp

If you missed what happens when you back up with the rear most axle loose,
check out the bottom of the "oop" page
http://www.joetrapp.com/pages/958688/index.htm