Re: [MV] Deuce injectors?

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 13:52:27 PST

Ram said it right. CLEAN FRESH FUEL,CLEAN FRESH FUEL, CLEAN FRESH FUEL!!!
My dump truck I drive at work is a 1992 and has 465,000 odd miles on it wit
the original injectors still in it. An injector either works or it doesn't.
Fire up your engine and let it warm up to operating temperature, get a 3 or
4 foot long stick, dowel, long screwdriver and climb onto fender with hood
open and stick stick onto the engine head next to injector your curious
about and hold it there without it flopping around......now stick your ear
to the other end of the stick and listen. Voila!!!! (FRENCH??) You can now
hear what's going on inside your engine. To hear the injector itself you
need to have the stick directly on the injector body (it will more than
likely sound like whales talking or dolphins communicating cause all you'll
hear is clicking clicking clicking. If you don't hear the proper noises
coming from said injector bodies you can always spend money and time
replacing the only to find out the replacements have the same noises. If
you don't hear the injector clicking it has gone to sleep and needs to be
removed and brought to your local injector shop who will beat on it with a
BIG wrench and make it wake up and go back to work. AFTER you reinstall it
back in the engine after another one goes to sleep.

         This is the brief explanation an old time backyard mechanic (me)
would tell you. There is a modicum of truth in there if you read carefully
between the lines.

         Have fun and there is lot more to worry about then injectors.

James Shanks
MVPA 23128
1998 IMZ 8.103 Russian OD paint job right from the Factory. (Built in the
original plant in Irbit, Siberia, Russia. Comes complete with sidecar. Sold
in US as The
Ural Tourist.
www.ural.com
1984 HD FLHT-C