Re: [MV] M35 -a battery box mount for a genset?

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 20:45:45 PST

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

Mounting it on the front of the box is a great idea, but in my case
kind of scary, as the box is thin-skinned aluminum with foam inside.
It could rip off and fall into my lap. I live in fear of the air
conditioner doing that as it is. Last time a running generator fell in
my lap, it was a very exciting experience, but I didn't really like
it! If I had the M-109 with its steel and wood box, that would be more
substantial for mounting it high.

Mounting it up under the frame between the rails is a good idea, but
since it will be a used one and might take some maintenance, it could
be hard to get to there. If I had an M109 truck, I would consider
that, and make a trap door in the floor for access.

Putting it where the batteries are now, and moving the batteries under
the passenger seat would be ok, but think I am going to put something
else there.

I do see that I'll have to plumb the exhaust more carefully, something
I had not thought of. I may do as was sometimes done with RV's, to use
the genset cooling air discharge to blow the exhaust away from the
vehicle, or perhaps use one of several squirrel cage blowers lying
around here to do the job. I pretty much want to put it where I can
get at it.

I'll have to consider all this for a while.