MV display at recruting event, attitude of the public

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 22:53:49 PST

Today, APR 5. 2003, I was pleased to display the M35 commo truck for
the Texas State Guard recruiting booth at Texas Stadium. The huge
overall festival marked the 100th anniversary of the city of Irving,
Texas.

I must have shown over 50 people the radios and switchboard inside the
shelter, and answered more than that number of questions about the
specs of the truck itself, etc. I had a blast!

I will have pictures up later, but I really want to comment here on
the general attitude of the attendees of the festival.

Present and recruiting was also the Navy, and the VFW had a great
booth. I have to say that the personnel at these booths received many
many 'thank you's' and 'we support you', and like comments. Never have
I seen military and former military folks openly held in such high
esteem by the general public. I didn'tknow what to think. Usually
recruiters are pretty much ignored for whatever reasons.

Even though the Texas Guard has never, (and never will), fought a war
outside of Texas (yes the Alamo counts), people kept thanking us too.
I was trying to figure out why. I went ahead and asked a few people,
and just the idea that with many of the National Guard and Regulars
gone abroad, people were releived to have 'someone to count on' in
case something happens here. Other people were just glad to see some
soldiers, what with their own friends and relations gone overseas for
now.

All I can say is God bless our Warfighters and transfer these good
wishes to them.

SGT PJ

p.s. -While walking around, I spotted (smelled actually) an
overheating 40KW diesel generator. Some fool had put a decorative
vinyl tarp around it (I don't know why, gensets are pretty), and the
cooling air intake was blocked as it sucked at the vinyl tarp. I
pulled the tarp away from the intake and held it, while my buddy went
and found a couple of cops. Together we moved the large tarp and and
waited till it had cooled down to a normal temp. No interruption in
power was necessary. There was also no fire extinguisher in sight! It
seems Jerry Jones has no problem charging $3.00 for a 16 oz. water and
$6 for a little bottle of beer, but can't spare enough change for
basic safety.