[MV] Duece Brakes locked??

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 17:41:22 PDT

The engine is running. The Emergency brake functions. The master cylinder
replaced, and the brakes bled twice ( I'll never buy Russell speed bleeders
again tho ).
I need to pull the wheels and rebuild or replace the wheel cylinders, but
have to move the truck first to be able to make room to do that.

Thus with an ear to ear smile on my face I jump into my trusty deuce, fire
it up, put the transfer case into gear, release the emergency brake ( all 6
wheels chocked ) put it into reverse and.... nada.

Something is keeping the truck from moving. I can't try it in a forward
gear as I'm 1.5 feel from the back fence... not sure how well brakes will
work nor how well emergency brake will work: this was supposed to be the
'test' for those components.
The truck tries to move to the rear, however it acts as tho the brakes are
on. To the point that it kills the engine. ( ok, it only puts out 127
horsepower on a good day ) Note: the truck was towed over here about 9
months ago: no problem with any sticking brakes at that time ( 5 mile tow:
I would think smoke would have been pouring out of a stuck brake pad by
then. ? )

If one or more of the brake pad return springs were not functioning I would
think the truck would still move, tho hesitantly.. ?

1: Might anyone have thoughts on why the truck isn't moving?
2: If not, could anyone identify exactly what the level shown in the two
pics below is? The lever was in the UP or 'On' position most of the times
the truck has been started. I've tried to lower it to the middle position
and all the way down, but it has had no effect on whatever is stopping
us. It appears to be some form of system brake lock: does it remind
anyone of a civilian brake system they have on a non MV truck?

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/1.jpg

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/2.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

        Paul