Re: [MV] Duece Brakes locked??

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 06:00:03 PDT

Mico Brakes can be electrically or cable operated....controls a valve body
located AFTER the master cylinder that keeps breaks locked once you tromp
the pedal, activate mico brake, and all brakes now locked until you release
them.
    My first day as a wrecker driver we were called to a 2 car and my
trainer had me bring an F250 4x4 while he drove the F350 4x2. Got to scene,
I dragged chains and cable as directed. He winched first car out of ditch
using F250 and hooked up to it. Then winched 2nd car out using F350. I swept
up glass while he finished hook up. He jumped in F350, I jumped in F250, he
takes off. I put F250 in gear, let out clutch, stall truck. Three more
attempts, same results. Using common sense, I ignored radio, locked hubs,
put in four wheel low range, revved engine, side stepped
clutch.....BANG!!!!
    Then picked up mike, called for help. Boss sent out F650 to tow the F250
consist back to barn where it was discovered I had turned the transmission
to transfer case drive shaft into a cruller before the drive shaft sheared.
    Boss mounted drive shaft on board and hung over time clock with 'RELEASE
MICO BRAKE STUPID !!!' under it.
    This truck had electric Mico Brakes and switch for it had been mounted
next to Plow controls between Plow lights and Beacon switch with a Dymo
label of 'MB'. Mico Brake in F350 was cable operated with BIG RED mushroom
button labeled 'MICO BREAKS-- PULL TO SET BRAKES--- PUSH IN TO DRIVE'. Even
Kerry could have figured out that one.

    Bottom Line......disconnect that valve body before you try to move truck
if brakes won't release because you WILL break something if you don't.

  Ronzo