RE: [MV] Farby stuff,and MVers vs. reenactors

From: Bill Chambers (bchambers@hoovers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:48:02 PDT

>If you steer clear of the reenactors, you will not have to deal with the
>concept. We accept everyone at the MVMVC (Well I do look down on the
people
>with pre M series stuff, but what the heck, most of them have so much rust
>and bondo, there is not enough real metal left to be melted down and made
>hot roll stock for my blacksmith shop).

>If you like I will take you to critique the "self proclaimed" purists
>vehicles and equipment and I am sure we can find some farby accessories...

Wow, this is interesting. "Steer clear of reenactors" why, I take offense at
that statement. <g>

In restoring my MV stuff, I try to get the right items for the right
vehicle. The proper accessories, parts, etc.
Having seen the level of competition at MVPA shows, I think that I am right
at home. MV folks can be just as anal.

Reenactors are just folks that have chosen a impression to represent. They
get the right stuff as that period requires.
MV folks buy a vehicle, that dictates the impression, and most folks get the
proper TM manual, tools, accessories, etc.

Maybe one of the big differences is that Reenactors do events where the
public comes up in a one-to-one encounter.
They have to explain (which most like to do) what the average soldier
carried, was clothed in and all the extra goodies.
There is a personal encounter, not just having someone standing back and
going "wow, cool truck". Or see it flying by on the highway.

Either way, the two hobbies overlap a great deal.
Either MV purists or Reenactor stich nazis, and those that do both, all seek
to keep the green alive.
We all don't scour every field we drive by looking for a lost truck, mule or
jeep for nothing. I don't look through second hand shops and flea markets to
keep busy. I am trying to gather up all the items that will be lost in the
generations to come. Yes, I get great personal satisfaction from getting my
hands on everything I can (is anyone really satisfied with their MV
collection?). But the two hobbies are aligned in doing things right, keeping
the history alive, and having fun being with folks with like obsessions.
And yes, I have loved military vehicles since I first saw one as a kid, how
could you not!

Now, how can I afford one of those 10-ton Jumbos!

regards,
Bill