[MV] Penna Historic Vehicle Registration

From: Herr Bookmonger (herrbookmonger@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 17:26:43 PDT

I forwarded this info request to my father who operated a Commonwealth of
Pennsylvaina Official Inspection Station for 30 or 40 years. (He refers to
Antique plates in PA. In Calif. there are Hist. Vech. plates as opposed to
Antique.) This is his reply:

PA requires that vehicle must be in exact shape that it was when it left the
factory, NO modifications period. It does not necessarily need a
professional restoration but can not be altered from original specs--down to
the Hubcaps & Wheels. They do REQUIRE 4 photos [front - rear left side
profile/right side profile. Antique plates can only be used for show or
recreation events and the occasional Sunday drive. You cannot use them for
normal daily activity[i.e.] going to work, shopping etc. They watch it very
close and do not allowed the Antique plate to be abused. The plate is a one
time issue with a $50.00 fee it is for the life of the vehicle so you see
with the cost so low many would abuse the plate to save yearly registration
fee. If you are going to modify the vehicle then there are other kinds of
plates i.e.[Street Rod etc.] The Antique Car Clubs and their members are the
best police force to stand up to violators. Also, vehicle can only be driven
in daylight hours as no State Inspection is required and most will not meet
current lighting standards. If you want it to be an everyday driver then
regular yearly registration + state inspection + emissions testing, and
regular insurance are required.

Herr Bookmonger
M-43 Truck, Ambulance, ¾ Ton, 4x4, w/W