RE: [MV] Penna Historic Vehicle Registration

From: Vincent Bloom (vbloom@DUCTMATE.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 03:49:11 PDT

Directly from PennDots Fact Sheet on Antique and Classic Vehicles,
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf This only counts for PA. Hope this clears things up.

The way I'd interpret this is that minor modifications are allowed. "Substantially in conformance" is open to interpretation. You can drive them to work, shopping, etc. one day a week under the "occasional transportation" clause - and if you do drive it twice a week, it would be a very attentive law enforcement officer who kept track that it's the second time this week you drove it. Antique is a much better way to go than classic. Classic requires yearly inspection, antique doesn't.

As for the lighting code, it was explained to me by a State Trooper from the Washington, PA barracks that as long as your lighting is in conformance with PA vehicle code, you can drive at night. The code doesn't say you can't, it says if you don't drive at night, you're exempt from the lighting code. I've driven my Ferret at night many times, even been stopped a few times by curious cops, but never cited or warned about driving an antique after dark. Biggest thing you have to watch for in the deuce is the 'no hauling cargo' clause.

As for watching it very closely, the state doesn't require anything past the initial application. I've never heard of anyone being asked to verify that their vehicle still qualifies to be an antique. I'd say the only way you'd get yourself in trouble is if the local cops saw you driving it every day repeatedly.

DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES
Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the
current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with
manufacturer specifications.
Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current
year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer
specifications and appearance.

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: "It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses." Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.
Although buses and trucks are eligible for Antique and Classic plates, buses MAY NOT be used to transport passengers and
trucks MAY NOT haul cargo.

INSPECTION
Classic vehicles are subject to an annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise
and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code but must have their original
lighting equipment. Antique vehicles are not subject to the annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique and classic vehicles
are not subject to emissions inspection.

Sorry about the long post...
Vince