Re: [MV] Churchville...aka "mudville"

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 17:27:57 PDT

Old Stinky?

Maybe the suggestion of 'filthy wh**e' for my deuce's name wasn't so bas after all..

But back to the tranny. I am guessing you checked it before you moved out of Churchville and that a bad leak developed on
the road.

This makes me a bit nervous about mine. It's always kept full, and checked before every long drive. Yet, when it gets nice
and warm, in 5th gear, it does get very noisy. Maybe it's the overdrive gears, maybe not really tough enough.

I am curous how a leak could develop, as the in and out shafts are well above the oil line. There is the countershaft in
the bottom, though and if I recall it has a front and rear bearing carrier which use gaskets.

I wonder if the 5 ton tranny would fit. Also, the diesel mechanic I get some advice and help from, suggested I could put
an allison automatic transmission with overdrive and lockup converter in there. That is beyond my $$ though.