Re: [MV] M35 air buzzer

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 13:56:54 PDT

   I do not get paid to operate vehicle, I
> do not haul for public. No one operates this truck for hire. If I were to
> haul something for someone they could not pay me anything - inspector said
> not even furnish fuel. These stipulations put truck "recreational
> vehicle" class. Same as big motor home and operator of motor home does
not
> have to have CDL's.
>
> If I were to charge for hauling it would bring on lots more discussion,
> brake system would have to be changed to meet commercial vehicle
> requirements, air brake endorsement to CDLs not discussed. Then we talk
> about "health cards", radar detectors not allowed in vehicle, log books,
> etc.
>
> Everette

Good point, one I didn't consider with my previous post. All my experience
with large vehicles has been at work. All have been company owned or rented
from another company. I assume most of the vehicles on this list are
privately owned.

One thing I would do though is get information in writing. Have something
to show the officer if you are stopped and questioned. A lot of this stuff
can be interpreted different ways by different people.

Which brings me to another point. Do we have to stop at weigh stations? I
think legally a 3 axle truck should, but I never do and I am tired of
watching my mirror for the law after I pass one.

Joe Trapp