Re: [MV] M35 Tweeking for power

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 09:46:15 PDT

No offense to your expert but your already over the limits.

Here is the short course on Pyrometers.

The Pyrometer sensor is mounted two ways as follows.

Mounted between the turbo and the engine MAX Pyrometer reading is 1200 F.

Mounted between the turbo and the exhaust MAX reading is 900 F.

To go over the readings posted above

YOU RISK MAJOR ENGINE DAMAGE IE: MELTED VALVES, PISTONS, CYLINDER HEADS ETC!!!!

IT DOSEN'T MATTER WHO MADE,DESIGNED OR BUILT THE ENGINE.

THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS ARE SOP WITH ALL ENGINE MANUFACTURERS GAS OR DIESEL!!!

Sorry bout the hollerin Guys but sometimes ya just gotta to get the message
through.

I would reduce the fuel compensator until your pyrometer will not exceed
900 F MAX AFTER you have had it floored climbing a LONG HILL (for testing
the pyrometer setting the hill should be preferably 1 mile in length)
without backing of the throttle a teeny tiny bit you should still not be
over 900 F max. Considering the time and labor invloved as well as the cost
you would be wise to set the pyrometer to no more than 850-875 F.

If you really feel you need more power or the Deuce is underpowered (By
design by the way) you might be happier with a 5 ton truck as they use
commercial Mack and Cummins engines as well as the LDT-465T series engines.
They also go faster on the highway. My personal favorite is the Mack 672
cubic inch Maxadyne power plant. Think guys how many times when you were a
kid and a relatively new Mack dump truck pulled up alongside your
jalopy...the light goes green and HEY!!!!!??? How the devil did that truck
get in front of me??

Answer is the early 1960's designed 672 237 HP Maxadyne Mack engine hooked
up to a 5 speed tranny. That's right a five speed!!!
The working range on the Maxadyne is 1200 rpm to 2100 rpm. When it was
introduced the big power on the highway was the Cummins NTC-250. Yup, same
one you find in a 5 ton Army truck. The Mack 237 would and still can blow
it's door's off fully loaded side by side every single time. So if you want
a 5 tom Army truck you will LOVE the Mack engine, tromp on the
pedal.....small puff of black smoke ...turbo comes to life and YOUR OFF TO
THE RACES!!!!

Back off your compensator to save you a lot of time and work later on please.

P.S. I drive a 1992 Mack Tri-axle dump truck with it's younger brother
E7-728 4V-350 HP 1250-1800 RPM

Jim

At 08:50 AM 5/24/2003 -0500, jonathon wrote:

> >While we are on the subject of turbos, what is a typical boost seen on the
> >mulitifuels,
>
>I had 11 psi at 990 degF (after turbo) at wide open throttle on a slight
>upgrade on a normal spring day, perhaps 70 degrees outside. An "expert"
>told me that I do not want to go any higher on EGT and that my boost
>pressure was higher than he'd like to see, but he recomended doing nothing
>about it, just live with it, so I am.
>
>later,
>
>je

James Shanks