Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers with Locking Hubs

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 22:16:50 PDT

>That was my thinking also, but some previous posts advised of the handling
>difficulty in the mud with a mechanical (Detroit) locker in the front, as it
>will engage and disengage as it senses slip.

It does not really sense anything, it just drives the axle (one side or the
other) that will take the torque, the side not being driven is free wheeling.

> But when this happens while
>trying to navigate a turn in the mud or on a side slope, thats not good.

In a turn it will always drive the inside (I think I had this backwards in a
coasting. It is very predicable, if your turning under power then your
driving off the inside wheel and the outside wheel is free wheeling and if
the inside wheel would then start to slip, the outside will pickup when the
velocities are the same. It's very predictable and I have no complaints with
the performace driving in 4WD off road, you just have to get used to what
it's going to do.

>I am now thinking an air locker in the front would be best, as once it is
>locked in it stays that way, no surprises.

I would think that any fixed locking device would be worse in a turn than a
Detroit Locker, at least with a Detroit your driving one wheel, with a
locked diff (or a spool) your going to drive both the same all the time, not
going to be easy to get the thing to turn. Ever drive a mule? It has no
diff's at all, your always having to slip one tire, or both, when cornering.

later,

je