Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers with Locking Hubs

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 13:10:51 PDT

It's interesting that you say that since a lot of off road mags and some
limited slip makers do not recommend putting limit slips or lockers in the
front of a 4x4. That is supposidly ARB's claim to fame, since their
"lockers" totally unlock. If no torque is applied to a locker or limited
slip axle, via the drive shaft, then there will still be some tendancy for
the diff not to allow allow independant rotation of the axles. That's
known as the preload. Race Limited slips have higher preloads and are
closer to being locked all of the time.

Perhaps your Detroit locker in the front of your truck is pretty loose - ie
low preload? Hence you don't notice it. I've heard other people complain
about using a limited slip in the front axle. I suppose you could be
doubly safe us put locking hubs in the front, that would disconnect the
diff all together and this discussion would be irrevelant.

Dave

--
Dave