Re: [MV] tapping noise in M35

From: JJ&A (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 23:18:17 PDT

    If you described it more as a chirping sound, I would tell you that it is
the warning sound (deliberately designed that way) of your head gasket about
to go. If the fire ring erodes through with age, it will pressurize the head
gasket area and make a chirping sound in a slot in the gasket. It does sound
a bit metalic, though.
    Check the compression. Should be 325 PSI when new. A little less is ok. I
made up an adapter out of an old injector and hooked it to an automotive
compression gauge that only went to 300 PSI. It just barely pegged, so I know
it's right up there. A failed head gasket fire ring will drop the
compression down to 100 PSI or so.
    My deuce made this sound when I got it and it lasted about 1,000 miles
and then lost all compression on 2 cylinders. Rebuild time. This is a
built-in warning signal.
    Anyway, that is how it was explained to me by a grizzled, old deuce
wrench.
Jim