Re: [MV] MV COMM-NET (no mil content)

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 09:48:25 PDT

As far as hams being low class people...try taking someone to the Dayton
Hamfest...where there are zillionaires and celebrities...if they can
disguise themselves well enough...from around the world. King Hussein of
Jordan, Barry Goldwater, several astronauts, Ronnie Millsap are/were
hams. There is a list of well known people who are hams floating around
somewhere. There are doctors and lawyers and probably indian chiefs...if
you look hard enough. Some years ago the astronauts that were orbiting
the earth talking back to earth stations...and the school teacher hams
set up radios in the schools and let the kids qso with them...to get
them interested in ham radio...the right way. Theres more to it than 12
volts, an antenna and standing wave reflection. I have an old army
continuous wave key with a bracket that fits over your knee that you
would look good going down the road in one of your military
vehicles...sending morse code and shifting gears at the same time. What
a challenge to wake up a stagnant mind...if anyone has one of
those...Fred ke8ss