Re: [MV] M37 Diesel Replacement Engine??

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 20:14:51 PDT

> New memeber here... with a wondering if there is a
>'best' diesel replacement engine for a working M37?

Cummins 4BTA. They are cheap and plentiful right now used, as they were very
common on bread and potato chip trucks and they are all now being scrapped.
I got a complete engine and tranny package from a running step van with 70k
miles on it for $2k and I put it into my Dakota, now I get 26mpg (was 15). I
did that about 1-1/2 years ago and now have 45k miles on it, I love it !!!!!

Your big problem will be axle ratio's. You will have to at a minimum get a
tranny with over drive and perhaps change the axle gears to those 4.88's.
Remember the equation:

road_speed(mph) = ( engine_speed(rpm) * effective_tire_radius(in) ) / ( 168
* product_of_all_ratios ).

You'll have to do some math to see where your going to be for what you want
to do, max speed on the B engines is 2500rpm.

good luck,

je