Re: [MV] Physics v. power loss

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 07:47:32 PDT

The only way you can "lose" power is via friction. No friction, no power
loss. Hence the length of a driveshaft or axle will not cause a loss of
power. (Unless you want to count the additional surface area contacted by
the driveshaft by the air..... that power loss negligible considering that
the other losses are so great ) Now if additional bearings are required,
that might be a different matter, but again that would probably again be
considered negligible unless the bearing was bad and causing a considerable
amount of drag. (;->)

You may be getting torque capacity confused with horsepower. Typically the
longer the driveshaft the less torque capacity. Excessively ong
driveshafts act like springs, they "wind-up" and become unstable and
useless as a driveshaft.

Dave

--
Dave