Re: [MV] DNR, M35, Fire Dept.

From: Adam Suess (ajsuess@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 22:31:13 PDT

Caleb,
I'm on the local fire dept. We currently have 5 DNR forestry trucks. 3 are
going back with in the next few weeks. I have tried to get consent to buy
one but they have to go to the DNR GSA auctions either sealed bid or live
auction. "No other way" I'm told. DNR does not get the money as I understand
it the feds do. Many on our department don't like them. The first time I
drove the 5 ton I fell in love with it. problem is when they picked the
trucks up they did not check them very well and they needed some things to
make it reliable, no one would do it. I became truck captain about a year
ago and have been slowly correcting the problems. Right now no one likes to
drive them because for so long these trucks have been neglected. usually did
not start and such. I decided to call the DNR up and inquire if they ever
got into the surplus parts. I explained that I needed a injection pump for
the M-54 multifuel and instead of a pump I got a whole XM-813 and a Chevy
dually. They had a auction about 3 weeks ago. I was up there and some of the
turn backs were just a shame of neglect. Some of the equipment they were
selling such as pumps and generators that were never sent out were very
nice. Again I inquired about getting written consent to buy the old M62 gas
that had been setting in the city shed since they got the M54 2 years ago
waiting to be taken back and for the department to eventually own the 813.
Got all the same answers. I don't think it's all a bad thing, it should
prevent people from using the program in a less than honest way. DNR also
comes and inventories every so often as well. The DNR loan program is a
great thing for departments if they know about it and a little about
military equipment. But it is hard to convince the departments to spend
money maintaining and improving trucks they don't really own. Also not easy
to get guys to want to drive them after there use to the fancy cars and
trucks around now days. In Minnesota we also have state run surplus services
where some military equipment can be received by government or non profit
entities. You first must get donor status and then go pick out a truck or
what ever, pay the fees and you must place it into service with in one year
and use it for a certain number of years and you get full title after that
time. I ended up buying a truck for my self at a gsa sale for surplus
services 2 weeks ago, very little hassle and I got a title certificate with
the truck and drove it home. You will probably get your chance to own that
truck but after it goes through all the government channels and the DNR
could give it back out or transfer it in the mean time. Good luck, Adam
Suess