Re: [MV] PTO/winch question

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 21:46:39 PDT

Richard,
     I have an M342 with a front winch. The transmission PTO is double
ended. The front shaft operates the winch. The rear shaft operates the
hydraulic pump for the dump bed. Because the hydraulic pump connection to
the valve body that controls the dump bed is a cast manifold, it was not
possible to use the pump for the dump bed to operate the knuckleboom crane.
     I run the pump for the crane from the transfer case PTO. My system
supplies 8 gl./min. at 2800lb. It is a Vickers vane pump. This runs the
crane quite well.
    Another option would be to get a power steering pump for a 5 ton
multifuel truck and mount it on the front of the deuce engine. This pump
supplies 5 gal./Min. at 1500lb. There is clearance if you cut away some of
the radiator shroud. I know, I have one. I do not have this pump attached
to anything yet, accept a reservoir. It's there because I am running a 5 ton
engine in my deuce. Its an LDS465-1A.
    I also have 15 leaf front springs to handle all the extra weight.

Here is the site with some photos of my truck so you can see the
configuration I have.
http://www.mayapplebrandstedt.com/maybrand4d.html
(Thanks Bjorn)

If you have any questions let me know.