Re: [MV] import reply-form 6

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 16:11:01 PDT

Unfortunately, the Form 6 doesn't automatically allow
U.S. manufactured significant military equipment to
jeeps and trucks to be returned to the U.S.A. Now it
does a fair job for us when it comes to obtaining
other nations vehicles and armor, but not ours. U.S.
vehicles out of country are almost impossible to
import. Seems a treaty signed into law some 60 odd
years ago prevents those U.S. vehicles and implements
of war (that were surplused to other nations or sold
privately) to be returned to the USA. (Look up Lend
Lease Act)

Under Lend-Lease, it does not matter as to the age of
the item, who has it or why, the gov. authors really
didn't care about that and could hardly even imagine
why that would be an issue. Their job was to assist
our automakers like Ford, Chrysler and GM by
preventing the return of mass quantities of common ol
jeeps and trucks. That is bad enough, but everything
else was caught in the big gov. net they cast and you
and I as little guys will get virtually nowhere with
them. I've tried and tried over the years.

My conclusion: The people controlling such things are
mindless, robotic bureacrats and could care less about
preservation of historic military vehicles or about
this hobby or our livelyhood that may be connected to
this importation. Sad, but true, ask Earl Tucker.

Now, if you were a determined person and could afford
the attornies, I suppose all that changes. You might
be able to force the gov. to abide by ALL the laws,
not just the ones they want to enforce, including the
loop holes that would get you your vehicle. But, like
I said for you and I, well, it would probably be
easier and cheaper to mine the iron ore, pound out the
metal and machine the parts than to deal with the
government!

It shouldn't be this way I know, and as a US taxpayer
you paid for those mil vehicles, you ought to be able
to reclaim them when the opportunity permits.
Returning those old vehicles sure won't be taking
profits away from our automakers, so there really
isn't any need to the law anymore, except for those
who are anti-gun, anti-military and see no reason why
need to own such things.

These archaic rules/laws and bad attitudes have hurt
the collection and preservation of many historic U.S.
vehicles and planes and thats a shame.

The laws and the rules regarding such imports have
been administered in the most unfair way possible and
we have been powerless to do much about it for years.
Just not enough people of influence in our corner.
Even though this unfair situation represents a little
freedom taken away, but people forget that losing any
freedom, large or small, really affects everyone.

Best of luck to you...sorry about getting on the soap
box, but you struck a nerve! lol -Jack