Re: [MV] import reply-form 6

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 20:06:53 PDT

Hi Mark and all,

>the 1956 M-220 that I bought from the US and was no problem to bring into
>Canada I cannot export it back to the US..

This was not my finding when I imported 2 ex-US Weasels from Ontario into
the US. There is an exception clause for Canada on the Form-6. As long
as it is not prohibited as stated in Section 9, Paragraph A, and is in
Canada, it can be legally imported into the US without a Form-6. It has
been a year since I last went through all the rigamarole, but there is a
lot more grounds for importation of certain US made military vehicles
THROUGH CANADA than it would first appear. Armor and dedicated weapons
platforms are still potentially a big problem.

Just a note... I imported mine a few months AFTER 9/11 when border
security with Canada was cranked up to 11. Truckers were waiting for
hours/days to cross over with payloads because of the extra scrutiny. My
trucker had no problem crossing even under the microscope. I had more of
a risk of the rusty buckets being impounded because of Canadian soil
residue than its US origns.

Steve