Re: [MV] french

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 10:07:32 PDT

I spent many years in Montreal and saw it change from a cosmopolitan city to a
ghetto, largely due to an aggressive campaign to make French pervasive and to
stamp out all vestiges of English. EVERYTHING had to be in French, with the
French version in bigger print. English was optional.

It was an utter disaster. I voted with my feet, as did virtually all my friends.
Now Toronto is dynamic, and Montreal is a backwater. It's a lesson that could
well be learned in the USA, especially in the south west. It used to be that
people wanted to be Americans, now it xxxx-Americans.

-John