Re: [MV] Are auction vehicles generallydrivable?

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 17:41:22 PDT

Drove my M49A2C from a DRMO auction at Camp Lejuene, NC to our home in
Virginia. About 300 miles without problem. The truck needed a jump start and
brake fluid. One tire was damaged and was removed before the trip home. My
wife and kids followed in our SUV with tools and other supplies, but nothing
was needed. We spent several days in the area making sure everything worked
before leaving, even test drove it on the base to get used to the low low
gearing.
The fuel tanker had very low milage and the batteries were only about two
years old at the time, so the vehicle had been maintained, just not needed
any longer. It was a USMC truck.

I think that I would take a chance again on an auction...Then again, I know
nothing about the GL auctions only that they extended the bid deadline on
one lot that I was watching, when someone made a last minute bid to allow
the prevoius high bidder to come back. Odd practice!

These vehicles cost Uncle Sam between 50 and 100 thousand back in the
sixties, so it would seem that anything below $5,000 is a real bargain when
complete. My deuce with the tanker equipment cost $98,000 in 1968. My bid
was about $3,000 and that was in 1995.

My next truck will probably be an M813 (5-ton super singles), checked one
out a few days ago and fell in love with it... but $18,000 is too much right
now.

Bjorn
MVPA 19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia