Re: [MV] Cold roll

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 11:06:27 PDT

>I suppose if the angle of attack was greater than
>75-80 degrees, the angle of attack deflection factor
>would likely stop most RPG's.

I don't know what the angle of impact has to be before it "slips", but I
would think this is not going to be a likely possibility in most ambush
situations. In otherwords, the shooter can take this into consideration
when choosing the ambush spot.

BTW, the round will still likely detonate, but it will be angled in such
a way that it might not penetrate the armor itself. However, that
doesn't mean it will do no damage or present no risk to people in the area.

If any of you saw the footage of a couple of Bradley's shooting up some
Iraqis on a steep bank of one of the two major rivers (forget which one)
in the heart of Baghdad, there was what looked to be an RPG hit on the
lead Bradley's upper right front side. However, it was fired from an
extreme angle and looked like the plasma jet shot up instead of in. If
someone had been standing nearby they might have been serious injured
and/or killed, but thankfully there wasn't.

Steve