Re: [MV] Cold roll

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 10:46:26 PDT

Was it the stated purpose of the gun trucks to use
cold roll steel to stop RPG rounds????!

I suppose if the angle of attack was greater than
75-80 degrees, the angle of attack deflection factor
would likely stop most RPG's. Better than nothing.
However, to think our military would use steel plate
to stop RPG's would be wrong.

You have to consider the military, anyone's military,
is often forced to use make-shift materials to fill a
void in an urgent circumstance. The ability to
provide some protection, probably about 50-60%
effective protection from most small arms, up to .308
cal.(7.62x51) is better than nothing and it achieved
with 1/4" cold roll, angle of attack not withstanding.
 AK47- 7.62X39 rounds are less powerful and likely the
protection would be somewhere around 80% or better
depending on the range and angle...angle being the
most important. Sure, AP rounds are going to punch
1/4", no doubt about it, but again it's better than
nothing and I think that was the original intent.
There is also the concealment factor, that helps too.
Anything to bring the odds up is good, right?

Ceramic steel armor plate would be far better, but a
little hard to buy off the shelf today.

Just my 2 cents worth and I have shot a lot of steel
plates with a lot of various rounds!