Re: [MV] Cold roll

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 15:38:55 PDT

In a message dated 8/8/2003 12:31:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 194cbteng@pchnet.com writes:

> I heard rumor (which is not hard to do) that the venerable, overpowering,
> intimidating, 50 cal. that was/is used on gun trucks (and
> many other places)
> is being phased out.
> Anyone else heard this???

The proposed replacement...

The Objective Crew Served Weapon (OCSW) is an integrated machine gun system which couples the firepower of air bursting munitions with optoelectronic fire control to provide all-environment operation and enhanced lethality. The OCSW is an ultra-light, two-man portable, crew-served weapon system incorporating state-of-the-art electronics, advanced materials, and small arms technologies. This unique weapon permits a high probability of incapacitation and suppression of enemy soldiers up to 2000 meters away and has a high potential to damage lightly armored vehicles, water craft, and slow-moving aircraft beyond 1000 meters. The OCSW is the potential replacement weapon for the 40mm MK19 Grenade Machine Gun and the caliber .50 M2 Machine Gun.

Notice the "state of the art electronics".....I am the only one who thinks that one day the battlefield will be dominated by someone with a precussion-cap .58 caliber rifle....since it can't be electronically jammed/confused or shorted? In our quest for ultra-precision we have forgotten the "iron bomb" theory....once it leaves the bomb bay, it WILL hit the target, no amount of electronic wizardry will send it off course. Likewise with Ma Deuce, if the headspacing is set right, once the trigger is pulled....it will hit where it is pointed. For those that doubt the accuracy of such a stone-age weapon, I suggest reading "Marine Sniper," which details Carlos Hathcock's exploits, including sniping with a stock M2 Browning with scope added...at ranges of something like the 2000 meters touted above.

Regards,
DD