Re: [MV] oil pressure

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 09:11:02 PDT

Everett's basically correct. It is the oil FILM
itself which provides the support...NOT the
oil pressure. So long as the clearance-space
in the bearing is full of oil, pressure is immaterial.

Volume is more important than pressure, in
an oil system. Pressure is nice tho...just
to make us feel better...<g>

In the Ford diesel pickups of 1982-1990 or
so, Ford used the IHC Navistar engine; and
it's known for very low pressures. When mine
is idling hot, the stock gauge sits at zero.

A REAL gauge however, will show 10psi or
so.

Detroit Diesels are also known for very low
pressures, even when in good shape. I've
seen many that only hold 5-6 psi at hot idle.

The 6V71T in my excavator holds 15-20 hot
idle, and 60 at rpm; so I figure it's either in
great shape....or, more likely, there's a blocked
passage in there somewhere...<g>

R.

--
Please do NOT add or "subscribe"